"This Is Dedicated to the One(s) I Love"

My real motivation for creating this blog is Joseph, our fourth child. Of course, all of the family will be included, but I want to dedicate this site to my little Joe.
People often ask how Joseph is and this provides a great reference tool as well as an opportunity to share my son's life and his defect with those who care the most.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Things are going well here in room 3086. Joe's potassium levels rebounded today but his sodium is still down a bit. They discontinued an IV diuretic and increased one of his oral diuretics. The hope is that his body will release the fluids but not as much sodium since an oral diuretic is not as strong as one given in IV form. So, we'll see tomorrow if the plan works.

Chest tube #2 was removed this morning- just one more, but it's the big one so I'm hopeful that they'll be able to take it out by Thursday. I'm also hopeful that we can be home by the first of next week. What a feeling it will be to go home knowing that we don't have to think about one more surgery. We just need to pray that the Lord will strengthen Joseph's heart so that it can last until another medical advancement is made. I just read today that medical advancements are being made each year that help extend the life expectancy of single ventricle heart patients. The Lord's design's will be realized in one way or another. Our faith is strong and we know that Joseph is here for a reason regardless of whether it be for 5 years or fifty.

This morning, when Joseph's surgeon, Dr. Kouretas, visited, I explained to Joseph who he is and that he was the one who operated on his heart to make it better. When Dr. Kouretas was ready to leave, I asked Joseph to tell him "thank you". Joseph signed and said "thank you." I don't think Dr. Kouretas was expecting anything since he knew that Joseph has been envolking his right to remain silence. I could tell that it thrilled Dr. Kouretas that Joseph broke his vow of silence to say thank you. It thrilled me too.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - only one tube left to go - what a miracle! You guys are all doing so wonderful! Way to go! This blog is a great!

    Love ya, Lance

    ReplyDelete