"This Is Dedicated to the One(s) I Love"

My real motivation for creating this blog is Joseph, our fourth child. Of course, all of the family will be included, but I want to dedicate this site to my little Joe.
People often ask how Joseph is and this provides a great reference tool as well as an opportunity to share my son's life and his defect with those who care the most.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Life on the 3rd Floor

Joseph was released from the ICU yesterday. He is doing well. One chest tube was removed yesterday - one down, two to go. He is still giving me the silent treatment. I don't blame him - I'd be mad too if one minute I was running around and the next I woke up in a hospital bed with my chest cut open, hooked up to all sorts of machines and a tube down my throat. I'm sure once his tubes are out and he can move more freely, his mood will improve. Our only minor concern right now is with his potassium and sodium levels. They're a little lower than they should be but we're trying all sorts of horrible tricks to try and raise them: like hiding salt pellets in food- poor little boy, he'll never trust his mom again when she offers him chocolate ice cream. Needless to say, it didn't work anyway. Instead of swallowing the salt pellets whole inside the ice cream, he started chomping on them, like they were almonds or something. Soon after, of course, those few bites of ice cream made their way out the same way they went in.
So... since I'm sitting around all day, I thought I would create a blog for Joseph. Sometimes... it's really nice to have nothing to do but sit in one spot for only one reason- it gives a lot a great time for thinking and doing some of the things we have been wanting to do for awhile. I hope you enjoy those moments too, hopefully they won't have to be done in a hospital.
Brad, Will, and Lainey came to visit today, along with Brad's brother Lance and his wife Jamee. Joseph still refused to break his code of silence and Lainey seems to be a bit mad at me as well, I just can't win. Luckily, she's only 3months old so as fast as she decides to be mad, she forgets. Plus, she's so good natured that I don't think she'll ever be much of a grudge holder.
If you know of any foods high in sodium and potassium, besides bananas and pretzels, let me know.
Good Night
here's a few photos from the day's past:
day 1: just a few hours after surgery
day 2: no ventilator

day 3: looking better


day 4: sitting in a chair but not happy about it


No comments:

Post a Comment